Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C D. Compare the underlined parts identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. caused B. wished C. guessed D. dressed
2.A. tea B. read (原形) C. real D. steal
3.A. through B. famous C. route D. wounded
4.A. native B. active C. national D. narrow
5.A. like B. limit C. knife D. inside
6.A. ear B. early C. earth D. earn
7.A. thank B. another C. smooth D. clothes
8.A. afternoon B. classroom C. roommate D. boot
9.A. houses B. horses C. rises D. exercises
10.A. expression B. discussion C. vision D. permission
Ⅱ. Vocabulary Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. ______ riding to school, Mary usually goes to school on foot.
A. Without B. Rather than C. Instead of D. Inspite of
12. The teacher will tell us _______ to have the exam next Monday.
A. if B. that C. if not D. whether
13. In order to grow well, the Blue Sprace, like other pine trees, ______ a temperate climate.
A. require B. requires C. is required D. that requires
14. It took them more than ten years to ______ the defensive works.
A. build in B. build into C. build on D. build up
15. I haven’t decided which seat ________.
A. to sit B. is to sit C. to sit on D. is for sitting
16. Susan wants to know whether the measures have been agreed _______.
A. to B. with C. over D. on
17. All _______ is a continuous supply of the basic necessities of life.
A. what is needed B. for our needs C. the thing needed D. that is needed
18. His hard work _______ when he won the prize.
A. paid off B. showed off C. rang off D. kept off
19. The fire _______ two persons’ death as well as the damage of all the store’s property.
A. is resulted in B. is resulted from C. resulted in D. resulted from
20. On Sundays I prefer _______ at home to _______ out.
A. to stay…go B. stay…going C. staying…going D. staying…go
21. Generally, the thicker a mammal’s (哺乳动物) skin is, the less hair ______.
A. that has it B. that it has C. has it D. it has
22. My father ______ an invitation to a dinner party, but he _______ it.
A. accepted…received B. received…accepted
C. accepted…didn’t receive D. received…didn’t accept
23. _______ their homework, the children went for a walk.
A. When they were doing B. After they have done
C. Having done D. They had done
24. My parents never let me _______ alone.
A. to travel B. to travelling C. travelling D. travel
25. Hardly _______ the classroom when the class began.
A. had he entered B. he had entered C. he entered D. he was entered
26. We all enjoy working _______ him because he is a kind leader.
A. along B. in C. under D. on
27. She is _______to refuse, so I have to give in.
A. a too kind girl B. too a kind girl
C. too kind a girl D. a gird kind too
28. He couldn’t use his own car because it ________ then.
A. was being repaired B. was repairing
C. is repairing D. has been repaired
29. _______ go to the Great Wall for a visit?
A. Why don’t B. How about C. Will we D. Why not
30. With the guide ______ the way, we set out on foot into the night dark.
A. lead B. leading C. led D. to lead
31. He seems _______ from this university.
A. graduating B. being graduated C. to graduate D. to have graduated
32. The refugees need many things, but _______, they need food medicine.
A. at most B. above all C. after all D. at the first
33. ______ France Viuard an excellent political speaker but she was also among the first members of the populist party.
A. Not only B. If only C. Only D. Not only was
34. He failed in the examination three times but _______ he passed.
A. at end B. at finish C. at last D. at least
35. On his return from his college, he found the house ________.
A. deserting B. deserted C. desert D. to be deserted
36. When Jane fell off the bike, the other children ________.
A. were not able to help laughter B. could not help but laughing
C. could not help laughing D. could not help to laugh
37. English is _______ interesting to us.
A. much B. very C. very much D. more
38. Grammar books here _______ well.
A. are sold B. sell C. sells D. have been sold
39. If everybody is _______, let’s begin our class.
A. sat B. seated C. seat D. sitted
40. He must have been there before, ________?
A. hasn’t he B. haven’t he C. doesn’t he D. isn’t he
41. He had to give up ___ the football match because he had his leg injured in the accident.
A. taking part in B. took part in C. to take part in D. take part in
42. The young people felt that they needed no help from anyone. They were very _____.
A. unexpected B. independent C. resistant D. separate
43. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into _____ when judging my examination.
A. regard B. counting C. acD. observation
44. The letters PTO _______ parent-teacher organization.
A. stfor B. call for C. heard for D. care for
45. Something always _______ wrong when we try this recipe.
A. has gone B. have gone C. go D. goes
46. My watch ______ three o’clock.
A. tells B. speaks C. talks D. says
47. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above _______.
A. average B. ordinary C. regular D. normal
48. I’d rather you _______ anything about it for the time being.
A. do B. don’t have C. didn’t have D. didn’t do
49. I don’t think we can take it ______, some problems still remains.
A. on hB. by chance C. for granted D. at will
50. She walked across immense room _______ every one looking at her.
A. with B. as C. while D. when
Ⅲ. Cloze (20 points)
For each blank in the following passage, there are four choices given below marked A, B, C D. Choose the one that is most suitable mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
The death of a child, _51_ one’s own child, is something the mind can hardly comprehend. It seems to go _52_ nature. The end of a life that is still forming _53_ has just begun is an almost unthinkable cruelty.
But it happens. Parents sometimes must witness the illness death of the children _54_ whom they gave birth. _55_ will ever fill the empty place that the dead child leaves behind. Parents _56_ to die before their children, which is the natural order of life events. When the situation is reversed a child dies _57_ the parents it seems wrong.
Yet we never know why one person dies another lives. But we do know _58_ a child is gone, the parents still have a future, as grey worthless as it may at first seem. Death may take the child, but the love never _59_.
The sorrow after a child’s death is one of the longest hardest type of _60_ to live with. it takes